Lisa Matukaitis, founder of Matukaitis Law LLC, exclusively represents individuals in employment and civil rights litigation. Dedicated to advancing employees’ rights in all areas of employment law, from discrimination and retaliation to wage and hour violations, Ms. Matukaitis has a particular emphasis on pregnancy, motherhood, and family responsibility discrimination cases. She is admitted to practice law in Connecticut and Pennsylvania.
Raised on a farm in rural, Central Pennsylvania, Ms. Matukaitis graduated from Southern Columbia High School and moved to Boston, Massachusetts. She earned her B.A. degree from Simmons College in Boston, majoring in Women’s Studies. Ms. Matukaitis worked full-time during law school, clerking at the Hartford Superior Court and for a national labor and employment law firm. Despite attending law school at night and caring for her young child, she graduated cum laude in the top ten percent of her class, was a member of law review, and received an “Outstanding Note” award for her article on the Sixth Amendment right to counsel.
Throughout her education and career, Ms. Matukaitis has devoted countless hours for cutting-edge legal work on behalf of women’s rights and rights for minorities. Her work and cases have garnered national, state, and local media attention. Headlines include: “Cancer Surgeon Alleges He was Fired After Advocating for Ill Co-Worker”, “New Jersey Woman Alleges Pregnancy Discrimination While EEOC Calls for Updates to Laws”, “Pa. Hospital Accused of Abusing Cancer-Stricken Secretary”, “Researcher Claims WellSpan Age Discrimination”, and “Mom Fights for Law against ‘Maternal Profiling’.”
In addition to her litigation practice, Ms. Matukaitis has spoken to national audiences and published articles on race, class, and gender issues. She has been involved in landmark appellate litigation in courts around the country, including cases involving the constitutional right to access the courts. Ms. Matukaitis has appeared on ABC News World News with Charlie Gibson and Comcast Newsmakers to discuss maternal profiling and discrimination against mothers and families.
The vegetable farm that Lisa Matukaitis grew up on is still family run, and Ms. Matukaitis enjoys spending time there with her children and teaching them how to sustain and preserve Pennsylvania’s natural resources.
Every year since 2011, Ms. Matukaitis has been she has been named a Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer Rising Star” by Philadelphia Magazine. She has received a 9.5 “Superb” rating by AVVO in the area of litigation, and is Peer Reviewed by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Civil Legal Representation Project, Staff Attorney
- Battered Women’s Justice Project, National Project Attorney
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Staff Attorney
- Dealing with the Problem Employee, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2013
- Cancer Surgeon Alleges He was Fired After Advocating for Ill Co-Worker, Patriot News, 2013
- CVS Employees Required to Submit to Health Screenings, abc27 News, 2013
- Dealing with the Problem Employee, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2011
- Maternal Profiling, Comcast Newsmakers, 2008
- Maternal Profiling, ABC World News, 2008
- Advancing the Constitutional Right to Access the Courts, National Teleconference 2004
- Appellate Advocacy, National Coalition Against Domestic Violence Annual Conference, Denver, Colorado 2004
- Living on the Edge: Economic Justice for Domestic Violence Survivors, Portland, Oregon 2004
- Overview of State Gender Bias Reports, Arlington, Virginia 2003
- Overview of the Pennsylvania Protection from Abuse Act, Judicial Institute, State College, Pennsylvania, 2002
- American Bar Association, Employment Discrimination Manual, Contributing Author, “Sexual and Other Harassment” Chapter
- American Bar Association, Impact of Domestic Violence on Your Practice, Contributing Author
Honors and Awards
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers Association
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Star, Employment Law and Litigation, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- AVVO. Highest Possible Rating, Superb
- Peer Review Rating, Martindale Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Employment Lawyers Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section, Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- United States District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit